The Pelican Institute for Public Policy seeks a Vice President to help drive an aggressive growth strategy and public policy agenda for the state of Louisiana. The candidate may work from the organization’s New Orleans office or remotely within the State of Louisiana and will require frequent travel. The successful candidate will be passionate about creating a culture of freedom and economic vitality in Louisiana, will appreciate the atmosphere of an ambitious start-up, and will be comfortable and conversant in free-market public policy.
The successful candidate will also appreciate a start-up culture that values entrepreneurism, humor, action, continuous improvement and strategic thinking. This is an opportunity for someone with a passion for liberty and experience in policy or the private sector to lead a growing movement by executing a variety of responsibilities, including the following:
- Vision and Strategy: Work directly with the CEO and Board of Directors to develop and implement short-term and long-term strategies to advance free-market public policy and build a culture of freedom for the state of Louisiana.
- Legislative Outreach and Coalition Building: Build support for key policy initiatives by building and nurturing meaningful goodwill relationships with partners and allies across the state including, often, nontraditional allies on a variety of issues.
- Public Policy: Build and lead a team of policy researchers and senior fellows to develop and publish a cohesive policy agenda for Louisiana and serve as the lead policy expert to a variety of audiences, including citizens, opinion leaders, legislators, and members of the news media.
- Start–up Activities: With a small, but growing, team, any number of tasks may come across this individual’s desk on a given day, from website maintenance to media calls to donor inquiries to manning the sign-up table at an event to spearheading a major statewide policy initiative. The successful candidate will thrive in a rapidly growing, start-up environment.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Experience in a free-market nonprofit, ideologically-aligned political operation, or in free-market oriented private enterprise with responsibility for execution of complex projects with broad economic or political impact
- Deep understanding of and commitment to the principles of limited government, free enterprise, and personal responsibility
- An understanding of public policy and how to drive meaningful, long-lasting change in a state; direct experience in public policy, legislative outreach, and/or coalition building a strong plus; roots in Louisiana are also a strong plus
- Entrepreneurial spirit and ability to be a self-starter
- Demonstrated competency in building, testing, measuring and learning; ability to take an idea and turn it into reality
- Experience managing and building teams, especially teams comprised of a virtual workforce
- Ability to travel (primarily in-state) on a regular basis, and demonstrated love of diverse local cultures
- Notable relationship building skills, and an outgoing, friendly personality, especially under pressure
- Willingness to engage in constructive give-and-take with the CEO in order to continuously improve one’s own performance, as well as the organization’s; demonstrated ability to work well with strong opinions, loosely held.
- Excellent communication skills, including above-average proficiency in writing, both short and long forms
- Ability to understand and articulate vision and build plans and teams to implement that vision
- Bachelor’s degree and a demonstrated appetite for continual learning
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your full name in the file name:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position, your geographic preference, and salary requirements
Please include “VP, Pelican–[Your Name]” in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Claire Kittle Dixon, Executive Director of Talent Market, who is assisting with the search: firstname.lastname@example.org.
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls please.
Talent Market is a nonprofit entity dedicated to promoting liberty by helping free-market nonprofits identify talent for critical roles. We provide free consulting and recruiting services to free-market think tanks, policy organizations, research centers, and capacity-building institutions dedicated to advancing the principles of limited government and free enterprise.