Last week Gov. Bobby Jindal outlined six fiscal policy reforms that will bring greater flexibility, accountability and transparency to the state budget. Specifically, these reforms will:
- Raise the cap on cutting budgetary spending units
- Eliminate the two-year limit on dedicated fund reductions
- Enhance dedicated fund accountability through performance reviews
- Enact a four-year sunset for statutorily created funds
- Increase transparency in K-12 education spending
- Create a user-friendly website that provides comprehensive information about schools
Spending cuts, accountability and transparency. These proposals won’t solve all of Louisiana’s problems, but they may spare Bobby Jindal from this fate.